Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sunset on Kealakekua Bay

Yesterday we went snorkeling with Annie, Jeff, Shanti, and Goa at a
spot called Two Step. It's next to the City of Refuge, a spot where a
bunch of Hawaiian kings are buried. I was the first one in the water
and was immediately face to face with a green sea turtle. Very cool.
Cindy and Annie soon joined me and we headed out to deeper water,
despite the fact we were hovering above an amazing display of colorful
fish. Why head out beyond most of the coral? Well, before entering the
water we spotted a pod of spinner dolphins and wanted to swim out and
get a closer look. After several minutes of hide and seek, we managed
to get pretty close. I wouldn't say we swam WITH them, but it was as
close as I've ever been (besides Sea World, that is). To see these
amazing creatures close and personal is incredible, and I hope we get
another opportunity before we have to leave. At any rate, after a
lengthy snorkle, we sat on the beach and did, well, beach things.

Later that evening we hung out with the Ashland crew at the sweet crib
they were renting. Tashina also joined us. The women made an
incredible meal, and I provided everyone with Piña Coladas. It was a
perfect ending to a wonderful day with our beautiful friends.

This morning Cindy and I hung put in our little hide-away and chilled.
Quite literally, as the weather is still cool and wet. The Ashland
crew stopped by on their way to deliver Annie and Jeff to the airport.
They were kind enough to bring some leftover groceries from their
vacation larder, and then bid us farewell. Shanti and Goa are
remaining on the island, so we will hook up with them once or twice
before we leave. Yea!

After lunch, Cindy and I headed up the coast to do some beach recon in
order to know where to hang once the sun decides to come out and play.
At one spot we saw a large pod of whales doing their thing just off
shore. So glad I remembered to bring the binoculars.

Returning home, we decided to take a quick detour and watch the sunset
from Kealakekua Bay. The picture you see is Cindy enjoying the
incredible display.

Tomorrow we'll probably head south for more recon. We are hoping the
forecast for sunny weather by Saturday is correct.

I'll post a few more pics from our day separately (as I am forced to
do because I am posting via e-mail from my iPhone).

No comments: